Wednesday 31 January 2018

Ancillary Drafting Process for a Magazine Ad Part 2


The first thing I had to think about when starting to design my new magazine ad was marketing and how to campaign the hypothetical brand new EP. I went for a more contemporary, basic and art-y design for this one. My first idea was to draw the hats that David and I wore in the music video. I thought this was a much less obvious link to the music video, as the image from before was a screencap from the music video. I decided to draw the hats on paper and then scan them into the computer. These are seen here to the left. They are almost identical in shape and size but have different logos on them like the real hats did in the video. I thought they could work well as a logo to run throughout the marketing campaign and still hold significance to the music video and theme without giving much away. When I put the hats into photoshop, removed as much white as I could and reversed the colours against a black background. All of my ideas fell into place and I could see where I wanted to take this magazine ad. The hats in contrast to above can be seen just underneath to the right.

A first example of how I wanted my poster to look, without the addition of the hats yet, is seen here to the left. The idea of simplicity and contrast really appealed to me and I had seen it be done it Arctic Monkey's AM also Kasabian's Debut Album.  As you can see from this, both ads use the same colour scheme, their classic fonts/logos and an iconic image relevant to the album. The soundwave on the Arctic Monkeys ad is also taken from the music video for 'Do I Wanna Know?' which also relates closely to my ideas and hopes for my marketing my image and campaign.


I continued to see what my ad would look like against a black background and some sort of border to go around the hats. I initially thought that this looked nice and worked well with the black and white title at the top reading 'hiding tonight' all in lowercase because I thought it looked more adult with capitals. I liked that it looked more childish and incorrect this way fitting into the theme of innocence again. I realised that the detail reading 'SUBMARINE ALBUM RELEASE' was incorrect and needed to say EP release.

After adding the hats into the square and adding the rest of the details, I realised that the square immediately around the hats gives a claustrophic feeling and draws immediate focus to the hats instead of the important details elsewhere on the ad. I stretched the square out to a rectangle to give the whole ad a border and felt that this worked much better and gave all aspects of the ad equal attention.
After changing the rectangle, I thought that this was the final draft of the poster until it came to my attention that there was no artist name or the actual title of the EP that was being released. I had put the singular track name for the music video at the top instead of the EP as a whole - Submarine. I have now edited this so that it works effectively as a magazine ad with all the correct information. I have not added the record label (like the Arctic Monkeys poster above) because I prefered just the singular image and text like the Kasabian ad.
The rainbow texts aims to stand out in a different way and add a little bit of colour to be original in my ideas and to show another childish and playful element.
My final poster has the name most important details in white - the name of the EP, the name of the artist and the release date. The title of the EP is in lowercase and almost appearrs to be floating against the black background which links in with the imagery of a real submarine.
The capital use of the other texts displayed on the add emphasis and show difference from the most important piece of text - Submarine.
The release date is clear and in a different font because the one downloaded, MSC, would not function with numbers. I picked the closest playful font that I could find and used this. The additional information at the bottom tells the audience exactly what will be available from the release date - giving the audience what they so desire.




No comments:

Post a Comment